Thursday, October 23, 2008

Obama's last two years in pictures


The caption reads: These two boys waited as a long line of adults greeted Senator Obama before a rally on Martin Luther King Day in Columbia, S.C. They never took their eyes off of him. Their grandmother told me, "Our young men have waited a long time to have someone to look up to, to make them believe Dr. King's words can be true for them." Jan. 21, 2008.

Me again: This is one of the things that I truly get teary eyed over sometimes. Thinking of the black kids I've worked with in schools, and what it will mean for them to have Obama to look up to, what it will mean for the country.




Caption reads: I loved that he cleaned up after himself before leaving an ice cream shop in Wapello, Iowa. He didn't have to. The event was over and the press had left. He is used to taking care of things himself and I think this is one of the qualities that makes Obama different from so many other political candidates I've encountered. Nov. 7, 2007.

1 comment:

Momama said...

I've taught them too and I can see many of my former students, struggling for self esteem, finding an amazing role model in President Obama.