Sunday, October 26, 2008

God and the Constitution

Linking button is still not working, but I had a thought in response to the claim on the Chronicler's blog that the Constitution was founded on Biblical principles. Could somebody point out to me where in the Bible the principles of the Constitution are located? Did King David write a psalm about the importance of separation of powers and freedom of the press? Did Paul take time out in his letter to the Thessalonians to discuss checks and balances or to set up an early christian electoral college and democracy?

Pardon my fascetiousness, but I would be interested in how someone who believes in a Biblical constitution would answer that question. Democratic governemnt was, In a very broad sense, a product of Judeo-christian thought. But most accurately the Constitution was a product of the Enlightenment and Western thought. I don't see a direct link to anything that is discussed in the Bible.

No comments: