Sunday, September 21, 2008

Now Entirely Wireless

As you may have heard, my laptop was stolen in a break-in late last night.  So, obviously this will reduce the amount of time I will spend on the internet, including this blog.  But while I'm here I thought I'd give a few tips on going through this process.

First- worry about identity theft.... What passwords did I keep on that computer?  What bank statements did I save as draft?  What kind of invoices from online stores did I keep on there?  Was my credit card info apparent?

Secondly - Be glad this didn't happen:  "One finance manager was stabbed in the chest for his Apple Computer Powerbook while sitting at a coffee shop in the city's Mission District, the San Francisco Chronicle reported."

Thirdly - Ponder what this will do to my internet habit.  What will replace the minutes hitting 'random article' on Wikipedia?  What will withdrawal feel like?  Will I itch?  How will I overcome feeling vastly underinformed about the latest political scandal?  Will I cry when I'm the last to know about PiglapdanceGate?  

Fourthly - Realize that the chronicler of my years, the library of my life, the filing cabinet of my person is really as fragile and transitory as life seems to be, become a nihilist (even if it becomes exhausting) and lock myself in a room with Portugese flash cards of office supplies. 

This, at least from now is the best way. Luckily I had some backup, so I can't forget the pictures I took of that frog that got on the screen door. Any questions?

1 comment:

The Caretaker said...

Shit. That really really sucks. Did anything else get stolen?